January 26, 2023
Students interested in public service are encouraged to apply for the Voyager Scholarship.
The scholarship, also known as the Obama-Chesky Scholarship for Public Service, provides financial assistance, networking opportunities, and travel stipends for 100 students. The scholarship was created by the Obamas and Brian Chesky, Airbnb Co-founder and CEO.
“My education changed my life. It opened doors, granted me opportunities, and helped me create a future brighter than I could have ever imagined for myself,” said former First Lady Michelle Obama, in a January 25 email message sent out by Reach Higher and the Obama Foundation. “That’s why as First Lady, I wanted to pay it forward by helping students get to and through college.”
The Voyager Scholarship for Public Service includes:
- Up to $50,000 in financial aid: Students will receive up to $25,000 per year in “last dollar” financial aid for their junior and senior years of college.
- Summer Voyage: Students will receive a $10,000 stipend and Airbnb credit to pursue a summer work-travel experience between their junior and senior year of college.
- Fall Summit: Students will be invited each fall to an annual Summit to help define and inspire their public service journey.
- Network of leaders: Throughout the program, students will be invited to an ongoing speaker series, giving them access to a network of leaders. This network of leaders will expose them to new areas of service and innovations happening in their fields. After graduation, they will join the Obama Foundation’s global community, providing them with Foundation resources and programming.
- 10-year travel stipend: After graduation, Airbnb will provide the students with a $2,000 Airbnb travel credit every year for 10 years, totaling $20,000. This will allow students to continue to broaden their horizons and forge new connections throughout their public service careers.
Applications close on Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 3:00 PM CT.