Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 81,500 people employed as ushers, lobby attendants, and ticket takers in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $25,100.
Entry level employees earn approximately $18,070 per year and senior employees earn approximately $37,100
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Greet patrons attending entertainment events.
- Sell or collect admission tickets, passes, or facility memberships from patrons at entertainment events.
- Clean facilities.
- Settle seating disputes or help solve other customer concerns.
- Examine tickets or passes to verify authenticity, using criteria such as color or date issued.
- Provide assistance with patrons' special needs, such as helping those with wheelchairs.
- Guide patrons to exits or provide other instructions or assistance in case of emergency.
- Refuse admittance to undesirable persons or persons without tickets or passes.
- Assist patrons by giving directions to points in or outside of the facility or providing information about local attractions.
- Page individuals wanted at the box office.
- Schedule or manage staff, such as volunteer usher corps.
- Assist patrons in finding seats, lighting the way with flashlights, if necessary.
- Maintain order and ensure adherence to safety rules.
- Search for lost articles or for parents of lost children.
- Operate refreshment stands during intermission or obtain refreshments for press box patrons during performances.
- Count and record number of tickets collected.
- Lead tours and answer visitors' questions about the exhibits.
- Manage inventory or sale of artist merchandise.
- Verify credentials of patrons desiring entrance into press box and permit only authorized persons to enter.
- Distribute programs to patrons.
- Give door checks to patrons who are temporarily leaving establishments.
- Manage informational kiosks or displays of event signs or posters.
- Work with others to change advertising displays.