Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 11,800 people employed as solar photovoltaic installers in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $46,500.
Entry level employees earn approximately $32,590 per year and senior employees earn approximately $64,600
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Apply weather sealing to array, building, or support mechanisms.
- Determine appropriate sizes, ratings, and locations for all system overcurrent devices, disconnect devices, grounding equipment, and surge suppression equipment.
- Install module array interconnect wiring, implementing measures to disable arrays during installation.
- Identify methods for laying out, orienting, and mounting modules or arrays to ensure efficient installation, electrical configuration, or system maintenance.
- Identify electrical, environmental, and safety hazards associated with photovoltaic (PV) installations.
- Install active solar systems, including solar collectors, concentrators, pumps, or fans.
- Activate photovoltaic (PV) systems to verify system functionality and conformity to performance expectations.
- Demonstrate system functionality and performance, including start-up, shut-down, normal operation, and emergency or bypass operations.
- Measure and analyze system performance and operating parameters to assess operating condition of systems or equipment.
- Compile or maintain records of system operation, performance, and maintenance.
- Diagram layouts and locations for photovoltaic (PV) arrays and equipment, including existing building or site features.
- Select mechanical designs, installation equipment, or installation plans that conform to environmental, architectural, structural, site, and code requirements.
- Examine designs to determine current requirements for all parts of the photovoltaic (PV) system electrical circuit.
- Check electrical installation for proper wiring, polarity, grounding, or integrity of terminations.
- Test operating voltages to ensure operation within acceptable limits for power conditioning equipment, such as inverters and controllers.
- Identify and resolve any deficiencies in photovoltaic (PV) system installation or materials.
- Program, adjust, or configure inverters and controls for desired set points and operating modes.
- Identify installation locations with proper orientation, area, solar access, or structural integrity for photovoltaic (PV) arrays.
- Visually inspect and test photovoltaic (PV) modules or systems.
- Install required labels on solar system components and hardware.
- Determine photovoltaic (PV) system designs or configurations based on factors such as customer needs, expectations, and site conditions.
- Determine materials, equipment, and installation sequences necessary to maximize installation efficiency.
- Determine connection interfaces for additional subpanels or for connecting photovoltaic (PV) systems with utility services or other power generation sources.
- Perform routine photovoltaic (PV) system maintenance on modules, arrays, batteries, power conditioning equipment, safety systems, structural systems, weather sealing, or balance of systems equipment.
- Install photovoltaic (PV) systems in accordance with codes and standards, using drawings, schematics, and instructions.
- Assemble solar modules, panels, or support structures, as specified.