Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 417,600 people employed as social and human service assistants in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $36,000.
Entry level employees earn approximately $24,950 per year and senior employees earn approximately $56,080
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Assess clients' cognitive abilities and physical and emotional needs to determine appropriate interventions.
- Develop and implement behavioral management and care plans for clients.
- Keep records or prepare reports for owner or management concerning visits with clients.
- Visit individuals in homes or attend group meetings to provide information on agency services, requirements, or procedures.
- Submit reports and review reports or problems with superior.
- Interview individuals or family members to compile information on social, educational, criminal, institutional, or drug history.
- Provide information or refer individuals to public or private agencies or community services for assistance.
- Advise clients regarding food stamps, child care, food, money management, sanitation, or housekeeping.
- Assist in locating housing for displaced individuals.
- Consult with supervisor concerning programs for individual families.
- Oversee day-to-day group activities of residents in institution.
- Meet with youth groups to acquaint them with consequences of delinquent acts.
- Demonstrate use and care of equipment for tenant use.
- Assist in planning food budgets, using charts or sample budgets.
- Assist clients with preparation of forms, such as tax or rent forms.
- Explain rules established by owner or management, such as sanitation or maintenance requirements or parking regulations.
- Observe clients' food selections and recommend alternate economical and nutritional food choices.
- Observe and discuss meal preparation and suggest alternate methods of food preparation.
- Transport and accompany clients to shopping areas or to appointments, using automobile.
- Inform tenants of facilities, such as laundries or playgrounds.