Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 3,835,000 people employed as retail salespersons in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $27,100.
Entry level employees earn approximately $19,740 per year and senior employees earn approximately $44,570
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Ticket, arrange, and display merchandise to promote sales.
- Inventory stock and requisition new stock.
- Exchange merchandise for customers and accept returns.
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Place special orders or call other stores to find desired items.
- Clean shelves, counters, and tables.
- Maintain records related to sales.
- Open and close cash registers, performing tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits.
- Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs.
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Estimate quantity and cost of merchandise required, such as paint or floor covering.
- Rent merchandise to customers.
- Estimate cost of repair or alteration of merchandise.
- Prepare sales slips or sales contracts.
- Estimate and quote trade-in allowances.
- Bag or package purchases and wrap gifts.
- Help customers try on or fit merchandise.
- Sell or arrange for delivery, insurance, financing, or service contracts for merchandise.
- Compute sales prices, total purchases, and receive and process cash or credit payment.
- Prepare merchandise for purchase or rental.
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Demonstrate use or operation of merchandise.
- Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.