Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 599,700 people employed as packers and packagers, hand in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $28,100.
Entry level employees earn approximately $20,630 per year and senior employees earn approximately $39,580
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Examine and inspect containers, materials, or products to ensure that product quality and packing specifications are met.
- Measure, weigh, and count products and materials.
- Record product, packaging, and order information on specified forms and records.
- Seal containers or materials, using glues, fasteners, nails, and hand tools.
- Assemble, line, and pad cartons, crates, and containers, using hand tools.
- Obtain, move, and sort products, materials, containers, and orders, using hand tools.
- Mark and label containers, container tags, or products, using marking tools.
- Clean containers, materials, supplies, or work areas, using cleaning solutions and hand tools.
- Remove completed or defective products or materials, placing them on moving equipment, such as conveyors, or in specified areas, such as loading docks.
- Place or pour products or materials into containers, using hand tools and equipment, or fill containers from spouts or chutes.
- Load materials and products into package processing equipment.
- Transport packages to customers' vehicles.