Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 333,600 people employed as hosts and hostesses, restaurant, lounge, and coffee shop in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $23,900.
Entry level employees earn approximately $17,780 per year and senior employees earn approximately $32,360
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Provide guests with menus.
- Assign patrons to tables suitable for their needs and according to rotation so that servers receive an appropriate number of seatings.
- Greet guests and seat them at tables or in waiting areas.
- Answer telephone calls and respond to inquiries or transfer calls.
- Operate cash registers to accept payments for food and beverages.
- Speak with patrons to ensure satisfaction with food and service, to respond to complaints, or to make conversation.
- Take and prepare to-go orders.
- Maintain contact with kitchen staff, management, serving staff, and customers to ensure that dining details are handled properly and customers' concerns are addressed.
- Receive and record patrons' dining reservations.
- Inspect dining and serving areas to ensure cleanliness and proper setup.
- Assist other restaurant workers by serving food and beverages, or by bussing tables.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of dining room staff to ensure that patrons receive prompt and courteous service.
- Hire, train, and supervise food and beverage service staff.
- Prepare cash receipts after establishments close, and make bank deposits.
- Direct patrons to coatrooms and waiting areas such as lounges.
- Inform patrons of establishment specialties and features.
- Inspect restrooms for cleanliness and availability of supplies and clean restrooms when necessary.
- Plan parties or other special events and services.
- Prepare staff work schedules.
- Order or requisition supplies and equipment for tables and serving stations.
- Perform marketing and advertising services.
- Confer with other staff to help plan establishments' menus.