Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 2,411,900 people employed as general and operations managers in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $103,700.
Entry level employees earn approximately $45,850 per year and senior employees earn approximately $208,000
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Recommend locations for new facilities, or oversee the remodeling or renovating of current facilities.
- Implement or oversee environmental management or sustainability programs addressing issues such as recycling, conservation, or waste management.
- Direct non-merchandising departments of businesses, such as advertising or purchasing.
- Plan store layouts or design displays.
- Develop or implement product-marketing strategies, including advertising campaigns or sales promotions.
- Review financial statements, sales or activity reports, or other performance data to measure productivity or goal achievement or to identify areas needing cost reduction or program improvement.
- Direct and coordinate activities of businesses or departments concerned with the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
- Direct administrative activities directly related to making products or providing services.
- Prepare staff work schedules and assign specific duties.
- Monitor suppliers to ensure that they efficiently and effectively provide needed goods or services within budgetary limits.
- Direct or coordinate financial or budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, or increase efficiency.
- Establish or implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, or procedures in conjunction with board members, organization officials, or staff members.
- Perform personnel functions, such as selection, training, or evaluation.
- Plan or direct activities, such as sales promotions, that require coordination with other department managers.
- Set prices or credit terms for goods or services, based on forecasts of customer demand.
- Manage the movement of goods into and out of production facilities to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, or sustainability of operations.
- Perform sales floor work, such as greeting or assisting customers, stocking shelves, or taking inventory.