Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 389,000 people employed as dining room and cafeteria attendants and bartender helpers in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $25,000.
Entry level employees earn approximately $18,260 per year and senior employees earn approximately $35,970
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Slice and pit fruit used to garnish drinks.
- Stock vending machines with food.
- Stock refrigerating units with wines or bottled beer or replace empty beer kegs.
- Replenish supplies of food or equipment at steam tables or service bars.
- Wash glasses or other serving equipment at bars.
- Carry linens to or from laundry areas.
- Garnish foods and position them on tables to make them visible and accessible.
- Mix and prepare flavors for mixed drinks.
- Carry food, dishes, trays, or silverware from kitchens or supply departments to serving counters.
- Perform serving, cleaning, or stocking duties in establishments, such as cafeterias or dining rooms, to facilitate customer service.
- Carry trays from food counters to tables for cafeteria patrons.
- Stock cabinets or serving areas with condiments and refill condiment containers.
- Serve food to customers when waiters or waitresses need assistance.
- Clean and polish counters, shelves, walls, furniture, or equipment in food service areas or other areas of restaurants and mop or vacuum floors.
- Wipe tables or seats with dampened cloths or replace dirty tablecloths.
- Set tables with clean linens, condiments, or other supplies.
- Greet and seat customers.
- Clean up spilled food or drink or broken dishes and remove empty bottles and trash.
- Maintain adequate supplies of items, such as clean linens, silverware, glassware, dishes, or trays.
- Locate items requested by customers.
- Fill beverage or ice dispensers.
- Run cash registers.
- Serve ice water, coffee, rolls, or butter to patrons.
- Scrape and stack dirty dishes and carry dishes and other tableware to kitchens for cleaning.