Salary and Outlook
According to the US Department of Labor, there are 654,800 people employed as computer user support specialists in
the United States.
The median annual salary is $52,700.
Entry level employees earn approximately $32,830 per year and senior employees earn approximately $88,940
Estimates do not include other potential benefits such as health insurance, overtime pay, or retirement benefits that may be offered by employers.
- Conduct office automation feasibility studies, including workflow analysis, space design, or cost comparison analysis.
- Read trade magazines and technical manuals, or attend conferences and seminars to maintain knowledge of hardware and software.
- Hire, supervise, and direct workers engaged in special project work, problem-solving, monitoring, and installation of data communication equipment and software.
- Answer user inquiries regarding computer software or hardware operation to resolve problems.
- Oversee the daily performance of computer systems.
- Read technical manuals, confer with users, or conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems or to provide technical assistance and support.
- Set up equipment for employee use, performing or ensuring proper installation of cables, operating systems, or appropriate software.
- Develop training materials and procedures, or train users in the proper use of hardware or software.
- Refer major hardware or software problems or defective products to vendors or technicians for service.
- Enter commands and observe system functioning to verify correct operations and detect errors.
- Maintain records of daily data communication transactions, problems and remedial actions taken, or installation activities.
- Install and perform minor repairs to hardware, software, or peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
- Prepare evaluations of software or hardware, and recommend improvements or upgrades.
- Confer with staff, users, and management to establish requirements for new systems or modifications.
- Modify and customize commercial programs for internal needs.
- Inspect equipment and read order sheets to prepare for delivery to users.